Modern Dreams — calling for submissions
Widely-recognised as one of the UK’s most innovative presses — Salt is starting a new digital-only initiative in this, our fifteenth year of publishing.
Do you want to be part of a new experiment in British fiction? Salt is calling for submissions for a new series of digital-only novellas as an extension of its SALT MODERN FICTION list.
What we’re looking for
Your novella must deal with 18 to 24 year olds living in contemporary inner-city Britain. [Please note: there is no age limit for authors.] We want issue-led works that tell the truth about what life is like for the young in these islands. Crime, drugs, fun, hope, immigration, integration, joblessness, laughs, love, loss, loyalty, music, sex, surviving and tragedy in modern Britain. We want to hear the stories that will make us sit up and stare in wonder. Lie awake at night. The stories that will break our hearts. Make us laugh out loud. Make us cry. The stories that tell the truth.
Your novella must be:
- an original work and unpublished
- between 20,000 and 30,000 words. No more, no less
- about young lives in contemporary inner-city Britain. That’s the UK only
- issue-led and utterly fearless
- about people we care about. We may love them or loathe them, but we must want to know what happens to them
- It may be about a set of characters and their lives that you want to develop in further novellas
- It must be unputdownable
- It must have a completely knock-out ending
What we’re offering
- a contract purely for eBook publication. You keep all other rights
- high-quality eBook production and design
- no advance, but a competitive royalty on net receipts
- global digital distribution
- the Salt brand, the Salt team right behind your book, all the way
- exposure with over 130,000 Salt followers on Facebook, Goodreads, Twitter and other social media platforms
- we’re very happy to receive submissions from your agent
We welcome writers from all backgrounds and are especially interested in Black and Asian writers. We are especially interested in the voices of women.
Make your move
- Prepare your manuscript carefully. Make it the very best it can be. Do make sure it is spelled correctly and well-punctuated. The language is as important as the story
- prepare a short synopsis
- write a short biographical note
- if you have a social media presence, tell us about it
- pull it all together and email it to us
Submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put MODERN DREAMS in the subject of your email.
Be part of it
While you’re preparing your manuscript or waiting for us to read it, get on our radar and stay there, be part of the Modern Dreams community. If we can’t see you, neither can your future readers.
- Join us on Twitter @saltpublishing.
- Like us on Facebook.
- Join us on Goodreads.
- Join our Mailing List.
- Above all, buy our books, we all need readers to make things work.
- Spread the word about the series right now with hashtag #SaltModernDreams.
- Do you have to be 18–24 years old to submit?
No, the age range is for the characters in the novella and is also the age range of the target readership.
- Is there a deadline for submissions?
No, this is an open invitation for new novellas and we have no plans to close submissions.
- Can I submit my poetry?
No, this new initiative is only for novella-length works of fiction.
- Can I submit my short stories?
No, this new initiative is only for individual novella-length works of fiction.
- Do you accept genre fiction?
We’re happy to read anything that meets the criteria above and have no anxieties about genre, cross-genre or genre-busting works that deal with young lives in contemporary British cities.
- Can my agent get involved?
Absolutely. We love agents.
- Do I need to be living in Britain or be British?
No, you do not. Salt publishes people from around the world. But the novellas must be about contemporary 18-24 year olds living in British cities.
- Do you publish previously published works?
No, we don’t. The works must be original and unpublished.
- Can the novella be set in the near future?
No, we want to deal with the here and now in this series.
- Is this for 16-24 year olds?
No, that’s not quite the age range. Please note, this isn’t a YA series. This is adult fiction but aimed at 18-24 year olds.
Last updated: 16th January 2014 19:45 p.m.
Can you write scintillating urban prose that’s capable of reaching a mass-market? Tell stories that matter about issues that are compelling, relevant and politically hot? Write about characters we care about in enthralling, thrilling and perhaps terrifying situations? Do you want to be part of one of the UK’s leading independent presses?